Friday 30 January 2015

No Agent? What Me Worry?

Around ten years ago I worked in Radio, mostly as a producer and engineer but, every now and again did some on air work and occasionally lent my voice to some spots and PSA's. It was in those fleeting moments where I knew that this was what I was meant to do. The conviction was strong and never really left me.

However, the road to fulfilling our dreams is often full of detours. It's rarely paved smooth and now and again you have to stop for gas or wait for a tow truck. This was my case as I was deviated for 10 years with getting married, getting a mortgage (yay...) and raising a family. Now don't get me wrong I didn't regret leaving the radio biz, my amazing wife and 2 boys are the greatest gifts a man could ever want and if I had to do it again I wouldn't change a thing!

So last March my wife's business took off like a rocket and demanded a lot of her attention and so it was decided that I become Mr Mom... a bit of an adjustment to say the least but met the challenge head on and so far its been working out well.

Beyond getting the kids to and from school and all the other domestic tasks that are adjoined to the job description, fate came along and nudged me once more like two random meteoroids bumping into each other in the great cosmos.

March 2014 had me attend a class by veteran Broadcaster and Voice Actor David Tyler. The die was cast and decided to take my natural artistic abilities and business acumen and create my company SeanKovacsVoiceOvers | www.skvo.net

Between March 2014 and today I went through every little painstaking detail into setting up my company. Since I am a sound engineer and producer by trade I even recorded and produced my own demos. The only thing I didn't have (and still don't) is an agent.

Before, during and after the Christmas holidays I contacted local agents only to be refused, told I was inexperienced, or simply ignored. At first I was frustrated by this because I know fellow VO's in my area who are as talented and experienced as I, and have representation.... whats the deal???

Not being one to be dissuaded by what other people think I decided that I need to be MY OWN AGENT, and market myself directly to video production houses, individual companies, and radio stations.

Well January is at a close (my first month of being officially in business, by the way..) and here's the result.

I am the voice in Montreal for Expedia Cruiseshipcenters, have lent my voice to companies such as Fonex Data Systems, WestJet....yeah thats right WestJet!, landed an on camera gig WITH LINES for a local media company who was filming a television pilot. Consequently, I was told by the director that I'll be retained for future projects as they were very satisfied with my performance and professionalism.

Its only January and my receivables are way higher than I anticipated, and it all comes down to moving the ball forward every day and relying on yourself. You drive the bus.

I still believe that having an agent is an important component of any VO's business model. The relationship between the two needs to be one of cooperation and reciprocity. If there any agents out there who want to take a chance on little 'ol me... well you know where to find me, I won't disappoint.

Just ask my clients.

Sean Kovacs



1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed your post, Sean. I worked in the production room and on-air most of my career. Since going at it with the clients I had built up over the years, I'm finding it hard to "cold call", and get new clients aboard...because I never was the best salesman. How did you approach these companies and media outlets? Most I have contacted in the Dallas/Fort Worth area have their own agency and don't want to hear from independent VO people like me. I'd love to hear some points about how you approached them and "closed the sale". Thanks!

    ReplyDelete